The ability to negotiate is one of the basic commercial business requirements yet it is often delegated to those least able to produce an effective outcome. The impact of poor negotiation is therefore felt throughout an organisation and has an immediate negative effect on company profitability.
This seminar provide practical, experience based guidance in planning and conducting a successful negotiation and identifies on an individual basis the key competencies and skills required to emerge on the winning side.
- Each day involves the delegate in a specific negotiating scenario
- The focus is upon achieving a “win – win “outcome but recognises that all negotiation are not conducted with this result in mind.
- The emphasis is placed upon good planning and preparation to assure an effective negotiated result. Fail to plan and you plan to fail!
- Common tactics and countermeasures are explored and Negotiational “ traps” uncovered
- Each delegate is expected to evaluate their current negotiating ability and develop a personal plan for improvement
Upon completion of this seminar, participants will know:
- The importance of planning in successful negotiations
- Approaches in negotiations
- Standards of ethics
- The importance of determining, rating, and valuing the issues in a negotiation
- Evaluating strengths and weaknesses
- Important issues in various contract clauses
- Important elements of final preparation
- Common negotiation tactics & counter measures
- Gain experience & confidence through the actual negotiation of sample cases
Participants will gain from a combination of instructional methods including lecture by an experienced practitioner and consultant, exercises, negotiation of model cases, and group discussions covering current practices and their relationship to the implementation of concepts and techniques discussed. This is a very “ hands on “ event with part of each day devoted to preparing and conducting a negotiation.
The organization will benefit by:
- Reduced total cost of purchased material, equipment and services
- Better outcomes in disputes and claims with suppliers and contractors
- Improved supplier performance
- Having the advantage in negotiations as a result of their employees being better prepared and trained than the employees of the other side.
- Greater likelihood that the organizations objectives in dealing with outside firms will be met.
- An employee who is more comfortable in dealing with people at all levels both within the company and across the supply chain
Attendees will gain by participation in this program as a result of:
- Establishing an understanding of their existing negotiation capabilities
- Increased skill sets in negotiations
- A greater sense of confidence and professionalism
- Applying increased negotiation skills to personnel situations
- Greater ability to obtain desired outcomes in negotiations
- Increased recognition by the organization due to improved performance
Who Should Attend?
Professionals involved in:
- Projects, Contracts, Purchasing, Contract administration
- Operations, Maintenance, Quality & Engineering
- Other company activities that expose them or their staff’s to negotiations with contractors and suppliers and who want to improve their competency in this critical area of performance.
Day 1 - What Makes a Negotiation a Success?
Day 2 - The Expert Negotiator has Many Talents
Day 3 - Valuing Issues for Both Sides
Day 4 - What Happens Inside Every Negotiation – Getting to “ Yes “
Day 5 - Common Negotiation Tactics & Countermeasures